Affolder’s roots began in 1928 when Ed Affolder, Sr. obtained the first Allis-Chalmers dealership in Indiana. Prior to that, Ed sold Rumely “oil pull” tractors made by Advance-Rumely Co. of La Porte, Indiana. These tractors were mainly used to power stationary threshing machines. Advance-Rumely was purchased by Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company in 1931, and the company’s main works would become what was later known as the “La Porte plant”. Later, two of Ed’s sons, Jack and Dale, joined the business as the Allis-Chalmers brand grew in popularity. New Idea brand of equipment of Coldwater, Ohio was added to help livestock producers and a growing need for pull-type corn pickers.
For Achieving Standards of Excellence
1966 - J&M brand of Fort Recovery, Ohio was added for a line of deluxe gravity wagons and elevators for grain farmers of the Berne community.
The early 1970’s proved to be prosperous times for agriculture. Affolder’s grew along with the community.
1976 - Ed’s son Jack sold his remaining stock in Affolder’s to several longtime employees of the business. Jack enjoyed his retirement until passing in 1993.
1981 - The beginning of the agricultural recession hit Affolder’s like all others in the farm equipment industry. The owners knew they needed to expand the products offered. Allis-Chalmers and New Idea products were sold through 1982 when the Bobcat brand of skid loaders was added to the dealership.
1985 - KHD (Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz) of Germany bought the farm equipment division of Allis-Chalmers. Deutz-Allis was formed. All Deutz-Allis farm machinery was painted spring green and trimmed in gun metal blue. This was difficult times in agriculture. By 1990, KHD was ready to leave North America and concentrate strictly on European Agriculture.
1987 - White farm equipment brand was added to help fill the needs of a broadening customer base.
1990 - The Allis-Gleaner Co. (AGCO) was formed from a management buyout of Deutz-Allis Corp. AGCO began acquiring farm equipment companies such as New Idea, Hesston, White Farm Equipment, and Massey Ferguson.
2001 - Massey Ferguson and Hesston brands were added to expand the dealership reach and broaden its offerings.
2003 - Sunflower brand of equipment was added to bring a premium tillage product to our customers.
2004 - Kubota brand of compact and utility tractors and equipment was added which produced outstanding growth.
2006 - Kuhn and Kuhn-Knight were added to Affolder’s line of quality hay and livestock feeding and manure handling equipment.
2010 - Great Plains was added to capture the need for vertical tillage and twin-row planters to our area. Also in 2010, Versatile was added to fill the need for high horsepower row crop and articulated tractors.
December 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM - A devastating fire destroyed almost two thirds of the dealership structure, mainly the service shop and parts department.
With the help of local fire departments and a great deal of community support, Affolder’s continued to do service business out of the local Ford auto dealership’s shop and two local farmer’s shops while a new structure could be built.
November 2012 - We moved into our new service shop and parts department. Affolder’s continues to grow and prosper along with the Berne community and surrounding counties in Indiana and Ohio. The loyal customer base has made it all possible. We say, THANK YOU!